SchemaPlay has created an Education for Sustainable Citizenship (ESC) Award that provides the foundations for learning sustainable citizenship. The Award has been developed to support the English Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), Key Stage 1 National Curriculum requirements and the Guidance for Citizenship Education in schools (DfE, 2015). We believe it has much wider relevance, and we would welcome the opportunity to adapt the resources to other national and international contexts. The development work and trials were carried out in collaboration with the Kent County Council Early Years and Child Care Service who are launching the project across the Kent local authority from January 2018. The resources include a package to support early childhood settings that includes:
- Early Years Foundations Stage (EYFS) Guidance styled on the British Association for Early Childhood Education (BAECE) ‘Development Matters’ publication (draft).
- 18 x ESC Activity Guides for use in the classroom.
- ‘Passports’ that record each child’s progress in their ESC and provides them with discounted entry to out of school ESC related centres such as wildlife parks (sample)
- 15 x i-Can booklets that provide suggested activities for parents and carers to support the child at home (sample)
- An ESC audit tool to support settings identify curriculum development objectives.
SchemaPlay offers training for trainers in support of the award and has developed associated training materials for curriculum support mentors to apply in local settings. There is also a SchemaPlay book Early Childhood Education for Sustainable Citizenship providing support for the training with background explanations and many illustrations of excellent practice. For more information please contact email@example.com